There are many factors that affect the quality of your sleep. The biggest factor is the quality of the sheets you sleep with. Percale sheets have grown in popularity due to their softness and the comfort they provide, when compared to plain cotton sheets. But finding the best percale sheets can be difficult and confusing at times.
To have the good night’s sleep, your bedding should be soft and comfortable to sleep on. You may have a quality mattress, pillow, and duvet, but if you’re sleeping on the wrong type of sheets, you will still suffer from loss of sleep.
Our sheets are constantly in contact with our skin while we sleep. It’s always a good idea to spend some time and effort researching the different types to ensure you get the right ones.
What are Percale Bed Sheets?
The term percale represents a specific way of weaving cotton sheets and it’s not material like many would think. Percale sheets are made out of cotton and are tightly woven to create that final structure that is smooth and durable. The best ones are made with 100% cotton but you can also find them blended with other fabrics.
Percale is one of the people’s favorite make of bed sheets because of the following reasons
- Durable: Percale sheets are more durable than other cotton sheets. This makes them a better bargain especially if you plan on keeping them for a long time.
- Softness: Percale cotton sheets are made in a way that the inner and outer sides are both soft. So, while laying your bed, you don’t have to worry about which side you put outside and which one you put inside.
- Stay Soft: New percale bed sheets are not as soft but when you start washing them, you will realize that they become softer after every wash. This is one of the reasons why people tend to keep them for several years before replacing them. They will providing you with comfort as if you just bought them yesterday.
- Matte Finish: The unique matte finish is what makes percale sheets very smooth on your skin without being slippery. They provide the perfect blend of smoothness and silkiness to always be perfect regardless of your room temperature.
- Breathable: Only the best percale sheets are made from the highest quality cotton. They are light enough not to allow body heat to escape while sleeping and allow for cooler air back in. This is what makes them perfect bed sheets for hot sleepers and reduce night sweats.
The 10 Best Percale Sheets for 2021
You will find hundreds of sellers offering bed sheets online. They all advertise and claim to be have the best percale sheets. If you’re not careful, you may end up regretting buying sheets that don’t suit your needs.
Sheets come in several different categories such as Percale, Linen, Sateen, Microfiber etc. In this article, we are going to focus on the Best Percale Cotton Sheets for 2021 and why many people love them.
These 100% cotton sheets come in the following sizes: Twin, Full, Queen, and King. What makes these bed sheets great is the fact that they are very breathable and comfortable to sleep on. The material is very soft and lightweight to help you stay cool through the night.
Deep pockets — Unlike other sheet sets, the fitted sheets for the Laura Ashley brand truly offer deep pockets. These pockets will be able to fit all the way around standard bed sizes so it doesn’t easily come off.
Multiple pillow cases included — All sheet set sizes except for the twin size comes with 4 matching pillow cases. The twin size has 2 pillow cases included.
Machine washable — Don’t worry about having to dry clean your sheets, these percale cotton bed sheets are machine washable. The recommended settings are to wash them in cold water on a delicate cycle and tumble dry them on low.
- Rated high for the level of softness
- The quality of the material is good
- 300 threads per inch with a silky satin feel to the sheets
- Customers loved the value of the product for the asking price
- The fitted sheet doesn’t always come in pattern to match the rest of the set
- Only available in floral designs
These sheets are made of 100% Peruvian Pima cotton and don’t use any harmful chemicals at all. It has over 1,000 customer ratings on Amazon and comes in various sizes all the way up to California King beds.
The cotton used to produce the sheets are harvested by hand and each set is made with precision and care throughout the production process. You will instantly be able to feel the difference because the Peruvian Pima cotton is great for keeping hot sleepers cool while they sleep.
Hotel quality bed sheets — Some of the top luxury hotels in the world trust this brand, including Sheraton, Marriott, and Radisson. The durability of these sheets is hard to beat.
Certified — This brand is Oeko-Tex certified which means they have been tested and verified to be completely free of harmful chemicals.
4-piece set — Each set comes with a fitted sheet, flat sheet, and 2 pillow cases.
Amazon Prime eligible — These Peru Pima cotton bed sheet sets are available for 1-day delivery for eligible prime members.
- 415 thread count
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Used in many luxury hotels
- Comes in mostly solid colors
- Wrinkles pretty easily
- On the higher end of the price spectrum (over $100)
You will not be disappointed with these moisture-wicking bed sheets. Each set is made of 100% percale cotton and the fitted sheet is fully elasticized to keep it tucked on the bed exactly where it needs to stay.
Variety of designs — They have a great selection of outdoor themed sheets to choose from such as oars, fish, kayaks, and animal tracks. These give a bit more personality to the overall look of a bedroom.
4-piece set — The dimensions (in inches) of the Queen sized set is as follows – Fitted Sheet: 60 x 80, Flat Sheet: 90 x 102, Pillowcases: 20 x 30. Their King sized set has these dimensions (in inches): Fitted Sheet: 78 x 80, Flat Sheet: 102 x 108, Pillowcases: 20 x 40. You will get one fitted sheet, one flat sheet, and 2 pillowcases for the full, queen, and king sized sets. Twin sets only come with 1 pillowcase.
Machine washable — It is easy to care for these sheets in the comfort of your home. The recommended settings are to wash these sheets in cold water on a delicate cycle and tumble dry them on low in the dryer.
- Cost is below $100
- High customer ratings in value for money
- Many reviews stating the sheets do help you stay cool
- Weighs only 1 pound
- No thread count clearly stated in the product description
Are you sick and tired of the plain old white bed sheet sets? The Lacoste brand sells very colorful sheets to add a pop of color to any bedroom. Every time you wash these sheets, they become a little softer, so they truly get better with time. People with sensitive or acne-prone skin types will definitely benefit from using these sheets.
All different sizes — You can buy this set in these sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King. This gives customers a good selection of options depending on their needs.
Perfect year-round — The Lacoste sheets are soft, cool to the touch, and breathable making it a great sheet set to use all year long.
Amazon’s Choice — This product is a featured Amazon’s choice bed sheet set.
Lacoste label — You know it is Lacoste brand if it has the iconic green embroidered alligator on it. This will help you easily identify these bed sheets from your other sets at home.
- Made of 100% cotton percale
- Each bed set weighs less than 6 pounds
- High Quality Stitching
- Only has a 200 thread count
- Many customer complaints about the sheets starting out scratchy
These soft, lightweight moisture-wicking bed sheets come in a variety of nautical themed colors and patterns. You can choose from either Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, or King-sized sheets for you and your family. Nautica has either solid colored or patterned sheets depending on what you like. All the sheets and pillowcases come in a matching set and add a nice touch to any bedroom.
Fully elasticized — The pockets on the fitted sheets can stretch to fit mattresses that are up to 18 inches deep. Even after washing, these sheets will not shrink like other brands do.
Multi-piece sets — Twin and Twin XL sets include 1 fitted sheet, 1 flat sheet, and 1 pillowcase. Full, Queen, and King sized sets also have 1 fitted sheet and 1 flat sheet but they have 2 pillowcases included.
Durable — Amazon customers have rated this sheet set as the most durable (with 4.9 stars) among all of the other bed sheet brands on this list.
- Customers rated the sheets to be pretty stain resistant
- Comes in 5 different sizes
- Machine washable
- Keeps you cool on warm nights
- Has 14 different patterns to choose from including whales, stripes, anchors, fish, and sailboats
- These sheets only have a 200 thread count
The Percale sheets are made by Pinzon which is owned by Amazon. They are made from 100% organic cotton that is grown without any chemicals. These bed sheets are available in different colors and sizes.
They have sizes for almost every size of mattress and the different colors allow you to choose a color that blends well with any bedroom decor and features.
- Made from 100% Organic Percale Cotton
- They have a thread count of 300 thread per inch.
Available Sizes and Dimensions
- Twin: 73 x 102 inches the flat sheet, 39 x 80 inch fitted sheet, and 20 x 31-inch standard pillowcase
- Full: 89 x 102-inch flat sheet, 55 x 76 inch fitted sheet, and 20 x 31-inch standard pillowcases
- Queen: 100 x 112-inch flat sheet, 60 x 80 inch fitted sheet, and 20 x 31-inch standard pillowcases
- King: 108 x 112-inch flat sheet, 78 x 80 inch fitted sheet, and 20 x 41-inch pillowcases
- California King: 108 x 112-inch flat sheet, 72 x 84 inch fitted sheet, and 20 x 41-inch pillowcases
- 100% Organic Percale Cotton
- High Thread Count
- Available in Many Colors
- Fits Any Size Mattress
- Low Cost and Low Maintenance
- Only 300 thread count
Conclusion: The Pinzon Percale sheets are the best ones we have reviewed for 2021. They have over 1800 reviews on Amazon and an average rating of 4.3/5. Their lower thread count makes them feel crisp and the 100% organic cotton used to produce them makes them worth the price.
The next percale cotton sheets are by Linen Home, one of the leading sellers of bedding on Amazon. They are made from 100% chemical-free cotton to help reduce skin allergies.
They are available in a variety of sizes that accommodate mattresses up to 18″ deep. The set comes with standard size pillowcases that are just as soft as the sheets.
- Twin XL
- 100% Organic Percale Cotton
- Chemical-Free Process
- Fits Mattresses 18″ Deep
- Available in Many Colors
- Great Value
- Short warranty period
Conclusion: The Linen Home Percale Sheets are the best value you will find when shopping online. They provide flexibility with many sizes and colors to choose from. Their percale cotton makes them a great option for anyone who suffers from allergic skin reactions.
Ultimate Buyer’s Guide
While buying bedsheets, there are some specific things you need to look at to avoid the bedsheets that don’t meet your needs. That’s exactly what I am going to share with you below.
Here are the things you need to look at while buying percale bedsheets
The thread count of the bedsheets may not necessarily translate into better quality bedsheets. However, it has a major impact as far as the softness of the bedsheets is concerned.
The thread count of most bedsheets ranges between 150 to 1000 thread per square inch. Bed sheets with a thread count of 150 are really not of good quality and are in most cases very cheap.
If you want percale bedsheets that are durable, aim at getting one’s with a thread count between 400 to 600 threads per square inch. If you don’t have a big budget, you can go for bed sheets with a thread count of at least 300 threads per square inch. These can be good enough if they’re well-woven.
This is a very basic thing but if ignored may turn out to be the most disappointing. Before you go out to buy bedsheets, know the size of your bed. This will help you avoid the inconvenience and disappointment of buying bedsheets that are smaller than your bed.
In a situation where you’re unsure of the size, always consider buying the largest because it is easier to reduce the size of the bedsheets if you can access a tailor but almost impossible to enlarge the size.
The material composition
Ideally, percale sheets are supposed to be made from extra-long or long-staple fiber that is 100% cotton. However, in some situations, some materials are blended in for certain reasons like cutting production costs. These materials also help in increasing the wrinkle resistance of the bedsheets.
Some of the materials that are often blended with cotton include; rayon from bamboo, silk, or polyester. If you can afford it, it is always a better option to buy percale bedsheets that are 100% cotton.
Organic Vs in Organic Cotton
The way cotton is grown impacts the final products that are made using this cotton. Cotton that is grown organically doesn’t contain any chemicals since it only relies on 100% natural nutrients to grow. Cotton that is not organically grown may contain some chemicals and these can be smelt if you are so sensitive to scents.
Sheets that are made from 100% organic cotton are the most comfortable ones but also more expensive. However, if you’re allergic to chemicals scents, you should never compromise this aspect if you want to have a comfortable sleep. Percale bed sheets that have chemical smells especially when they’re new can be quite uncomfortable to sleep under.
Warranty and return policy of the seller
This is mainly important when you’re buying the bedsheets from an online platform. Sellers that have a good return policy and warranty normally sell sheets that they trust as far as quality and durability is concerned.
You also need to read through the reviews about the sheets especially the negative ones so that you get to know the bad things about that particular brand you’re about to buy.
Look at the finish of the Percale Bedsheets
The finish is normally influenced by the materials that are blended with cotton. Bedsheets that have some chemicals in them normally don’t easily get wrinkles. The bedsheets made from 100% cotton always have a matte finish and are also more vulnerable to wrinkles. This means you’ll be left to choose between getting bedsheets that have chemicals but don’t easily wrinkled.
Or getting ones that are 100% organic with a matte finish but more vulnerable to wrinkles. But most people always choose organic despite their vulnerability to wrinkles. I would go for the same option if given the chance to choose between the two.
Where the Bedsheets are manufactured from?
There several manufacturers that make bedsheets around the world. Like in any other industry, there are those countries that have always been ahead of others in terms of the quality of the bedsheets they manufacture. The countries that are known for making the best bed sheets are France and Italy.
This does not mean that other countries don’t make quality bed sheets as well, but the reputation of France and Italy can’t be ignored when it comes to the beddings industry. With all factors constant, you should choose bedsheets made form Italy or France over another country.
If you are the type who thinks about how the bedsheets will impact the environment when you dispose of them someday, then organic bedsheets should be your obvious choice. Organic bedsheets will have no harm on the environment when you finally throw them away.
The Price of the Bedsheets
The price of the bedsheets may not be directly be related to the quality of the bedsheets. However, there is a price range that you should expect to get quality bedsheets. Most of the quality bedsheets on the various eCommerce platforms range between $100 to $250. Most of the bedsheets that are below $100 are normally not of good quality.
However, you need to carefully look at the features of the bedsheets because at times sellers tend to escalate prices to build the impression that they are selling quality stuff. This is why reading reviews is the best way to know what people that have used the same sheets say about them.
Colors and patterns
Bedsheets come in several colors and patterns and as a buyer, you can choose what works for you. The best way to choose the right color is first of all look at the set up of your bedroom and then choose a color that blends well with the rest of your beddings.
Most people prefer white because it doesn’t bleed color while being washed and is also blends well with other colors. To ensure you get the best out of the bedsheets it is important how to know how best to take care of the bedsheets. Washing and drying should be done in the best way to ensure the bedsheets last long enough.
Here are some of the ways that you can take care of your percale bed sheets to ensure they last longer;
- Wash the sheets with warm water: Washing the bed sheets with warm water will kill bacteria and any other germs that may be available in the bedsheets. It is also not a good idea to wash bedsheets with other clothes as they may be affected by color bleeding from other clothes.
- You can dry wash or machine wash: Dry washing or machine washing the bedsheets should depend on what the manufacturer recommends. But most of the percale bed sheets can be both machine-washed and dry cleaned.
- Drying and ironing: After washing your bedsheets, you can either dry them with the sun or machine drying. However, it’s always better to iron the sheets when they have some little moisture in them. So always take the sheets off the sun or dryer before they get totally dry.
- Wash the bed sheets at least once every week: You may choose to wash your bedsheets as frequently as possible but the most ideal situation would be washing them at least once a week. Remember parcel bedsheets get softer after every wash, so you’ll be getting a better sleeping experience the more you wash the sheets.
Percale is among the most loved woven style of bedsheets. Its ability to be easily washed, being breathable, and softness is among the reasons most people love these bedsheets. Most of the percale bed sheets are made from 100% cotton but sometimes they blend in a couple of chemicals to make the bedsheets less vulnerable to wrinkles.
However, some people prefer percale sheets that are 100% organic especially those that are allergic to the scent from these artificial chemicals used while making the bedsheets. While buying percale bed sheets it is always important to pay attention to the features of the bedsheets before placing the order to avoid disappointment.
Unless you have prior experience with the same bedsheets from the same seller, it is important to take time and read the description of the bedsheets and the reviews of other people that have used the same sheets.
Another thing you need to remember is to get the best out of your percale bedsheets, wash then more often and also iron them before putting them back onto the bed.